Another ritual to add to your daily routine!
But this routine not only feels AMAZING it has many benefits.
Dry brushing has been used for centuries by Scandinavians and Russians. More than 30 years ago, a Finnish doctor by the name of Paavo Airola prescribed this technique for his patients to detoxify, exfoliate and stimulate the skin. (Source)
The skin is…
- The largest organ in our body
- One of the most important elimination organs next to the kidneys and liver
- Plays a huge part in our daily detoxification
- Our skin receives a third of all blood circulated in the body
- Our skin communicates to us about our blood’s toxicity level
- A reflection of any imbalance and deficiency in our bodies.
So listen to what your skin is telling you!
Here are 5 benefits of Dry Brushing Your Skin:
1. Increases circulation possibly reducing cellulite. One of our nemesis, cellulite, is toxic accumulations of our body’s fat cells. Dry brushing helps break down those unwanted toxins revealing smoother skin.
2. Exfoliation. Brushing helps shed dead skin cells and encourage new cell growth. This brightens and smooths skin.
3. Improves our lymphatic system. This system helps eliminates cellular waste and is the drain system of our body.
We have twice as much lymph (lymphatic fluid) in our body as blood! When our lymphatic system is congested, inflammation and disease can be manifested through this congestion. Dry Brushing stimulates our lymphatic system by assisting in the release of toxins.
4. Increases circulation to our skin. This encourages toxic waste to be eliminated.
5. It feels amazing! Once you get over the initial process, this daily ritual can be addicting and invigorating!
- Start at your toes and work up towards your heart. All brush strokes flow to the heart. Maybe send a little love and apprecation to each body part that serves us every day! It’s easy to take our soul’s home for granted so acknowledge each part’s beauty and purpose!
- Buy an all natural brush, like this one, with a handle to reach hard-to-reach places… this one comes with a soft cover and is great for travel. Yes you will want to bring it with you.
- Keep your brush clean. Clean it once a week with a natural soap like Castile soap (what isn’t that stuff good for?). I also add a few drops of lemon essential oil as a disinfectant 🙂 Make sure your brush dries completely… I leave mine in the sunshine for a few hours and boom. Clean.
- Use an all natural soap in the shower. Like this.
- Apply an all natural moisturizer. Skip chemical laden and toxic lotions. Use pure oils such as organic fractionated coconut oil or sweet almond oil (my favorite).
I love how simple and effective this technique is. Do you dry brush your skin? Will you give it a try? Please share!
Live Hippily… and move your lymph.