I know what you’re thinking…
Who needs tips for drinking lemon water?
Well this simple and effective morning habit has a plethora of benefits (supports hydration, digestion, skin, and immune systems) but if not done correctly can have negative effects on your teeth and potentially overall health. (Click here for my post about the amazing benefits of this morning ritual!)
Hippie Tips to Drinking Warm Lemon Water Safely:
- Use at least 8 ounces of water with the juice from one lemon.Start with an empty stomach. After my morning oil pulling, I consume at least 32 ounces of water. I’ve worked up to this amount so just choose your comfort level and go from there… but 8 oz should be the minimum.
- Drink your lemon water warm! Drinking any liquid cold can prevent proper digestion, absorption of nutrients, and can lead to a dysfunction in the spleen. (Source) Warm lemon water is optimal and most beneficial.
BUT don’t reboil your water!! Reboiling water can be toxic to your health. (Click here for more info). Unless you are reboiling distilled water, which most of us don’t, boiling water too long or reboiling it risks concentrating certain undesirable chemicals that may be in your water. Examples of chemicals that become more concentrated include nitrates, arsenic and fluoride.
- Drink your lemon water out of glass straws.Using straws will help prevent the lemon from eroding tooth enamel. Please don’t use plastic straws. The warm lemon infused water can cause plastics to leak into the liquid. Here are the ones I use… Click here (disclaimer: affiliate link).
- Use glass cups when making and consuming warm lemon water… not plastic.I CANNOT find 32 ounce glass cups so this 32 oz glass mason jar with a handle is perfect for this morning ritual (Affiliate link).
- Rinse your mouth out immediately and wait to brush your teeth 60 minutes afterwards. The acid leaves the enamel softened and more prone to erosion during brushing… so wait at least 60 minutes to brush.
- Include lemon zest!If you have access to organic lemons, use about 1-2 tbsp of zest into your morning cup. The rind contains vitamin C, calcium, potassium, and citrus bioflavonoids. Many essential vitamins, minerals and enzymes found in the rind are beneficial to our overall health. Don’t skip this small step for maximum benefit.
BUT, don’t use the zest of non-organic lemons as they are usually coated with wax to maintain freshness and look nicer longer.
Hippie Tip 1: Put organic lemons (already squeezed) into the freezer and use rind when you need it! Since we can only get organic lemons in season here in AZ I stock up so I have lemon zest year around!
Hippie Tip 2: Don’t just throw away the unused lemon peels! You can place them in the dishwasher to help clean dishes and replace the “last night’s meal” smell with a lemony scent! Or, check out this easy DIY cleaning solution.
DIY lemon vinegar cleaning recipe!
Place as many lemon peels as you can in any sized glass jar (mason jars work perfectly). Pour white vinegar over completely. Put an airtight lid on and let it rest for 2 weeks. Absolutely worth the wait! Then strain the liquid. Combine this with water (using a 50/50 ratio) and then use as you would your normal all purpose cleaner.
Hippie Tip: Add additional essential oils: Eucalyptus, Lavender, Peppermint, and Tea Tree are awesome cleaning oils… infusing more cleaning power and lovely scents!
Here is a great blog post on 31 ways to use lemon peels! (Inspiration for cleaning recipe)!