Life is magical… and we can make it even more magical when we perform a random act of kindness every day.
This act of putting random kindness into action began in a restaurant in Sausalito, CA in 1982. Anne Herbert, the restaurant owner wrote the worlds “practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty” on a place mat.
This message began a movement calling us to do things infused with compassion and caring for the good of the world. Random acts of kindness not only transcends love to those in receipt but also creates happiness inside and within ourselves.
Happiness does not come from without, it comes from within. – Helen Keller
Something shifts deep within us when we express gratitude and love in acts of kindness towards others. Even the sweet deeds done without any acknowledgement from a receiving party can change us from the inside out.
There are so many ways to create and implement random acts of kindness every day.
Here are 35 Inspiring Ideas for Random Acts of Kindness:
- Surprise your kids with something exciting and out of the ordinary.
- Thank the janitor or custodian at your gym or kid’s school.
- Give a genuine compliment. Express those sweet and loving thoughts when they come into your mind.
- Send flowers or make cookies for a friend who needs a little pick-me-up. We all know someone who needs one.
- Call your mom, dad, sister, brother, grandmother, grandfather, an in-law, and tell them how much you love and appreciate them.
- Put a little love letter in your kids lunch box or husband’s car.
- Plant a tree, some flowers, and/or use less plastic… give the environment a little love each day.
- Forgive and hug yourself.
- Create a family “holiday”… declare a day appreciating something or someone special. Celebrate every year or just once.
- If you are an avid Amazon Prime user/consumer, donate Amazon.com’s money to your favorite U.S. non provide through Amazon Smile.
- Pick up a piece of trash or two along your way.
- Allow a driver eager to pass you to do just that and give him a smile and a wave.
- Help an elderly neighbor with housework or bring them cookies.
- On hot summer days, provide your mailman, garbage man, or landscaping crew cold water.
- Throwing a birthday party for one of your babies? All the gifts coming their way, have your child pick a few or a lot to donate to children in need.
- Send a letter to a child… they LOVE getting mail.
- Listen to your spouse or friend without any interruption. Just listen and be present.
- Create and keep a gratitude journal. Write down 3-5 things you are grateful for. Research has shown this increases happiness by 25%!
- When you hear gossip, chime in and say something nice and loving about the person being gossiped about.
- Say “Yes!” Just say yes!
- Forgive others and yourself.
- Pay for someone’s tab or buy their coffee.
- See something at the store that reminds you of someone? Buy it give it to them.
- Say hello to that person in the elevator. It’s so much better then that awkward silence 😉
- Leave a big tip and tell them how great their service was.
- Be open and receive random acts of kindness.
- Become an organ donor.
- Put your phone, tablet, computer away and give the people in your presence your undivided attention.
- Smile at someone you see… watch what happens.
- Let go of a grudge.
- Let that person have the parking space.
- Be patient
- Bring healthy treats into the office.
- Hug your significant other for 20 seconds (it works wonders).
- Play, play, play, and play some more.
Every day we have an opportunity to bring love into every situation. That love can inspire someone else to love and so on and so on.
What are some other inspiring random acts of kindness? Please share the love!!
Live Hippily… and discover the power of kindness!