Still slathering on store bought lotions and potions?
Rule of thumb: If you won’t eat it don’t put it on your skin!
Our skin is the largest organ of our body and absorbs EVERYTHING we apply to it. So be aware and nourish, not diminish, your skin!
The following are just a FEW horrible ingredients the FDA allows companies to include ingredients in lotions and other beauty products:
- Parabens: Associated with increased risk of breast cancer
- Synthetic colors: Human carcinogens, skin irritants, and are linked to ADHD in children
- Fragrance: A scary category the FDA allows companies to put almost anything into! It’s their “secret” formula. Fragrance mixtures have been associated with allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress, and negative effects on the reproductive system.
- Phthalates: A group of chemicals that are major endocrine disruptors and linked to breast cancer, early breast development, and reproductive birth defects.
- Formaldehyde: Linked to occupational related cancers and known to cause allergic skin reactions… also harmful to our immune systems.
- Propylene Glycol: Sounds harmless??? NOPE!! Classified as a skin irritant and penetrator causing dermatitis and hives in humans.
SOOOOO!!! Throw that chemical shit conncotions away and make your own products at home!!! OR use the www.ewg.org/skindeep and THINK DIRTY APP (IPhone only) to scan and research products you put on your precious soul home! Okay, okay…
I love using my DIY body oil infused with essential oils. The beautiful thing is you can truly create a scent that is authentic to you and your body. Move over synthetic fragrances that disrupt your endocrine system! Natural and essential oils promote anti-aging and nourishing benefits your skin will love!
Favorite Carrier Oil – I love organic fractioned coconut oil. (not an affiliate link)
The benefit to using fractioned coconut oil is it is stripped of all of it’s nutrients… you’re thinking “that’s a good thing?”… but when using essential oils I prefer the oils have the ability to be as potent as possible rather than interacting with any other molecules in the carrier oil. Other carrier oils I recommend are avocado oil and organic sweet almond oil.
Check out other carrier oils that nourish the skin too based on your skin type!
25 drops of your favorite essential oils. Currently I’m into a blend of lavender (15 drops), Frankensence (8 drops), and Patcholi (3 drops).
Other amazing essential oils for the skin are
- lemon (great for age spots but don’t use if you plan to be in the sun within the next 24 hours.)
Fill an 8 oz amber glass bottle (with pump) with carrier oil, leaving room at the top. Drop in your favorite essential oils and boom… there you go!
Other oils that are aromatic and feminine are ylang ylang, geranium, and rose. Experiment and create a scent that works with you and your body!
Hippie Tip: Need some inspiration for you man? 10 drops Sandalwood, 8 cedarwood, 5 drops frankincense with a touch of 5 drops bergomot makes an incredible and manly scent…
Do you have a favorite blend? Please share!
Live Hippily… and nourish your body right!
Need help obtaining high quality and therapeutic grade essential oils? Click here for more information!