Once you taste home made nut milk, you will NEVER buy synthetic vitamin, carrageen infused, and chemical laden nut milk again.
It’s SO easy and absolutely delicious… It take a little foresight since soaking the nuts is an important step in the creation of this nut juice. So think ahead and make it happen.
I primarily organic raw Brazil nuts or almonds…. cashews (which don’t require as long of a soaking period) and pistachios are also great nuts to milk!
Blender, Vitamix, or something similar
All natural nutmilk bag
- 3 cups of organic raw nuts (I primarily use almond and cashew)
- sea salt (1 tbsp to soak and 1/4 tsp to add to milk)
- 3-6 cups filtered water (obviously the creamier the milk the less water to add)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional but really brings out the nuttiness)
- Sweetener: raw honey, maple syrup, dates (3-4 pitted) (all optional)
Soak nuts overnight in filtered water with about 1/2 – 1 tsp of salt. Rinse well and place in blender. Add water. I prefer 1:1 ratio but you may up the water a bit to create more milk. The less water the creamier the milk. We drink A LOT of this nut liquid so I usually use about 1 part nuts to 3 parts water.
Blend for about 2 minutes. Add vanilla extract, sea salt and optional sweetener. Blend for about 1-2 more minutes. Pour milk and pulp through a nut milk bag and squeeze remaining milk from pulp.
Pour in an airtight glass container… I use these. They are awesome and so versatile!
Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days… it may not last as long 🙂
Do you make your own nut milk? What kind of nuts do you use? Any tips? Please share!
Live Hippily… and don’t be afraid to get a little nutty!