I have ALWAYS wanted to try one of these cauliflower pizza crust thingys.
So I did. The first round was not successful, I discovered most recipes recommend after cooking the crust for 20+ mins covering it with your pizza sauce and all the fixings then putting it into the oven…unless I did something wrong (which is pretty much impossible ;)) it just reaped a soggy crust.
No body ate it… except me.
The second batch, I nixed the red sauce and opted for a white… okay green pizza. I added greens and lots of flavors and called it my very own, cauliflower crust with greens.
So, the crust inspiration was from Mommypotamous (Source)… but the crust was still a little bland. I highly recommend adding lots of spices, herbs, and garlic to really give this flavor and zest! It’s even really yummy just to make as a side dish or serve with your clean protein and rainbow-colored-veggie creation.
Okay let’s just do this…
Cauliflower Pizza Crust with Greens (Ditch the cheese for the detox!)
Makes Four Servings
- 1 very large or two small cauliflower heads
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut flour
- ½ cup organic mozzarella cheese, plus more for topping
- 2 large pasture raised eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- ½ teaspoon organic onion powder
- 4 cloves fresh organic garlic (pressed or diced)
- handful of basil, chopped.
- 1 small shallot diced
- 2 cups sauteed organic greens (kale, broccolini, and spinach, any herbs… greens.)
- Add on: Avocado, lemon, red peppers, green chile for my NM crew, homemade pesto, hot sauce, etc.
- Place a large baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 450F.
- Remove stem from cauliflower and break florets small/medium pieces. Place the florets in food processor.
- Grind cauliflower in food processor until the texture resembles small pieces of rice.
- Measure out 2½ cups of cauliflower “rice” and place it in a bowl.
- Sprinkle salt, onion powder, coconut flour, 2 pressed (or diced) garlic cloves, basil, and cheese over the cauliflower. Add eggs and stir until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Form mixture into a ball and press into the shape of a pizza crust on parchment paper. The crust should be 11-12 inches wide.
- Slide heated baking sheet under the parchment paper and place crust in the oven. Bake for about 20 minutes. The crust should develop some golden-brown flecks. Like this:
- While crust is cooking, saute rest of pressed garlic, shallots, and chosen organic greens lightly… just until greens are bright and slightly wilted. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Once crust is golden-brown, brush with avocado or olive oil. Add on sauteed greens, and more cheese on top of greens.
- Place back in oven for 4-5 minutes,until all is one delicious meld of love.
- Add slices of avocado, sprinkles of red peppers, and a bit of lemon juice (this adds a beautiful acidic flavor balancing your creation). I love spicy so I use an organic hot sauce… pretty much on everything… and it’s local.
- Boom. Eat. Enjoy.
Have you made cauliflower pizza before? What did you do differently to make it delicious? Please share!
Live Hippily… and make it spicy!