Just ditch store bought balm.
After discovering a main ingredient in Burt’s Bees, my then favorite chapstick, is canola oil… a concentrated toxic and chemical filled oil, I had to find something better.
I mean you put this on your mouth!
I was on a mission.
I searched Sprout’s and Wholefoods. Every option was expensive (too much to support my addiction) and in a plastic containers. Boo.
Using pure organic ingredients is key. The initial cost is higher than just buying a stick at the store, but the quality of your balm and cost per lip cover is ultimately less expensive… and not toxic!
Oh and let’s not forget, made with pure and simple ingredients!!
Start with high quality beeswax, shea butter, castor oil (or carrier oil of choice), and your favorite essential oils.
- 2 tbsp shea butter
- 1 tbsp and of beeswax
- 3 tbsp of castor oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1tsp – 1tbsp Beet or Hibiscus powder for color (optional and amount is based on your preference of tint)
- 20 drops of essential oils (peppermint and cinnamon bark both have lip plumping properties)
- Use a double boiler (or makeshift double boiler, placing a glass bowl in a sauce pan. Fill sauce pan with enough water for the bowl to float).
- Add all ingredients except essential oils.
- Using a low heat, ingredients will begin to melt and become liquefied.
- Stir consistently.
- Mixture is ready when all beeswax has melted.
- Remove from heat and let cool for about 1-2 minutes.
- If you are adding in color, add right after mixture is removed from heat. Use a whisk to mix well.
- Add in and mix essential oils of choice.
- Pour mixture into a lip balm container and allow to cool.
- Store in a dark and dry place.
- Always use clean hands to dip into your balm.
It took me a few times in making balm to find the perfect balance between texture and consistency. If you want the mixture softer add in more castor or coconut oil… if you prefer the consistency harder add in more beeswax.
I encourage you to try it! It’s awesome to use your own homemade products! You know what’s in them! So simple.
Do you have a favorite lip balm recipe? What are your favorite essential oils you like to use? Please share!
Live hippily… and make some balm!!