I write this with love and in hope to support all humanity to understand that supplements are not the next “quick fix”. If you are here, than you probably are steering clear of prescription drugs and looking for other ways to support your health, specifically your immune system, and I am here to tell you that supplements can support you but what you eat is the most important “supplement” you should be focusing on!
The number one question I have from clients is “What supplement will help _____ (symptom)?”. Unfortunately, regardless if we are more health-focused or not, many of us still believe in the pill for every ill… and now we are seeing it with supplements.
Now, don’t get me wrong I’d prefer supplements to prescriptions any day of the week, but they are not the answer. .
When we get to the root of symptoms we support the WHOLE body, rather than just a part.
Our body is literally a universe made of trillions of cells, more than the stars in the sky! It’s complex and brilliant and we ALL have an innate capability to heal and when we give our body what it needs, magic happens.
Let’s first focus on the most important way to get our nutrients… EAT (A VARIETY OF) REAL WHOLE FOOD! This is the most bio-available way for your body to digest, assimilate, absorb, and use them!
However, even more important than food, we must tend to our digestive system! This is the system that breaks down, absorbs, and assimilates nutrients. If it’s not working correctly, then there is a domino effect throughout the entire body! So no matter how many supplements you take, if you body can’t break them down, they will go right through you, literally. You are throwing money down the toilet!
“We are what we eat”. Would you agree with this statement? Most would, but I suggest you take it one step further and understand this:
We actually are what we digest!
With an estimated 74% of Americans living with digestive symptoms like diarrhea, gas, bloating, acid reflux, and abdominal pain, it’s become normal to live in digestive discomfort. (Source) This is SO sad and completely unnecessary.
Our digestive system is our largest interaction with the outside world. You thought it was our skin, didn’t you? Check out my blog post Understanding Digestion for amazing insight and ways to help support your digestive system FIRST! Getting your digestive tract on TRACK will allow you to actually absorb those expensive supplements!
Focus on FOOD First
Here are some simple rules when it comes to sourcing and consuming food!
- Consume minimally processed, unrefined, whole foods that are close to how they appear in nature.
- Drink enough water every day (weight/2= #ounces to drink daily)
- Eat a diverse range of local, seasonal, organic fruits and vegetables
- Choose grass-finished meats, pasture-raised poultry and eggs, and wild caught seafood.
- Avoid Hydrogenated oils and trans fats
- Avoid refined sugar
- Avoid refined carbohydrates
- Eat ingredients rather than food-like products with a list of ingredients
- Eat slowly and chew your food (Read Understanding Digestion!)
- Limit caffeine & alcohol
For more tips and insight, check out my blog post Super Simple Switches!!
Okay now that you get that food is your first focus before supplements, I’d like to offer you some questions to ask when spending your hard earned money on supplements! No one needs to waste their money and put them down the toilet (pun intended).
Here are some questions to ask before you buy supplements:
- Does the company have good manufacturing practices (GMP Certified)
- Do they do any third-party testing?
- Are they derived from whole food concentrates, isolates, or synthetics (can you guess which one is best?).
- Are they using organic and/or non-GMO ingredients?
- Do they contain any offensive “other ingredients” like natural flavors, artificial colors flavors, or sweeteners
- Do they common allergens like wheat, lactose, or corn?
- What about hydrogenated oils, gums, fillers, maltodextrin, or binders?
I’d also like to offer you some ideas on what forms of supplements to look for. It’s vital to understand there are more bio-available forms available. Check this out:
Buying supplements is challenging. This is why I offer my clients access to high quality supplements. If you need help sourcing supplements, email me at email@example.com.
By the way, part of my 90 day Personalized Nutritional Therapy Program is to identify the symptoms (some which you may think are “normal”), understand what system of the body is struggling, then supporting the body with real whole and nutrient-dense foods. THEN we move into supplementation!
Wishing you optimal health my friends, Becky Wells