Just ditch store bought balm.
After discovering a main ingredient in Burt’s Bees, my then favorite chapstick, is canola oil… a concentrated toxic and chemical filled oil, I had to find something better.
I mean you put this on your mouth and don’t tell me you never lick your lips…
I was on a mission.
I searched Sprout’s and Wholefoods. Every option was pricey and in a plastic containers. Boo.
Using pure organic ingredients is key. The initial cost is higher than just buying a stick at the store, but the quality of your balm and cost per lip cover is ultimately less expensive… and not toxic!
Oh and let’s not forget, made with pure and simple ingredients!!
Also, during the cooler months I add less beeswax and less coconut oil. About 1/2 tsp of each.
Homemade Lip Balm
- 2 tbsp shea butter
- 1 tbsp and of beeswax
- 3 tbsp of castor oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 20 drops of essential oils (peppermint and cinnamon both have lip plumping properties). I also love the combination of orange or tangerine with peppermint.
- Use a double boiler (or makeshift double boiler, placing a glass bowl in a sauce pan. Fill sauce pan with enough water for the bowl to float).
- Add all ingredients except essential oils.
- Using a low heat, ingredients will begin to melt and become liquefied. Be patient as you don’t want the water to boil into your precious mixture.
- Stir consistently. I use a popsicle stick to stir so it’s easy to dispose of.
- Mixture is ready when all beeswax has melted. See below:
- Remove from heat and let cool for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in and mix essential oils of choice.
- Pour mixture into a lip balm container and allow to cool. I like the cardboard sticks, stainless steel or glass balm jars.
- Store in a dark and dry place.
- If using a balm jar, try to clean hands before dipping into your balm.
It took me a few times in making balm to find the perfect balance between texture and consistency. If you want the mixture softer add in more castor or coconut oil… if you prefer the consistency harder add in more beeswax.
I encourage you to try it! It’s awesome to use your own homemade products! You know what’s in them! So simple.
Do you have a favorite lip balm recipe? What are your favorite essential oils you like to use? Please share!
Live hippily… and make some balm! yo!