First have to thank my beautiful cousin, Jessica Jensen, for inspiring me to cook and try these delicious squash for the first time!!
This is her recipe, which pairs spicy jalapeno,a hint of maple syrup, and a splash of lime creates a perfectly flavored and delicious side dish. I’m honored to post it on our blog!!!
Unlike butternut squash which can be such a pain to peel and process, delicata squash is a beautiful fruit (yes fruit!) to accompany your meal that doesn’t require a lot of hassle!
Simply, cut in halves, and discard the seeds, cut in slices, toss in oil and spices, roast, and boom… enjoy!
The delicate rind (or skin) paired with the rich orange colored flesh creates a mild-flavored sweetness paired with a creamy texture.
A few tips in buying them…choose organic and pick squashes with smooth unblemished skin that feel firm (especially near the stem ends). They don’t keep as long as squashes with thicker skins so use within the first few weeks of purchasing.
Toss roasted delicata squash with pasta, tomatoes, bitter greens and a balsamic dressing. Add to greens with pecans, and perhaps a premium goat cheese and dried cranberries. Simply roast and pair with your favorite dish.
So many options so little time. 🙂
Let’s do this:
Roasted Delicata Squash Recipe
- 2-4 delicata squash (about 1.5 – 2 lbs)
- 2 tsp of avocado oil (or your favorite roasting oil)
- 2 small jalapenos
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- salt & pepper to taste
- lime (squeeze on after roasted)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Clean the squash and cut in half lengthwise
- Using a spoon, scoop out all the seeds and discard
- Cut each half into 1/2 inch segments, creating moon-shaped pieces
- Clean and chop jalapenos into small pieces then toss into a bowl with squash
- Add oil, maple syrup and spices to the bowl and mix well coating each piece of squash and jalapenos evenly
- Place baking sheet and arrange the pieces in a single layer
- Roast for 10 minutes then gently turn the squash over to brown other sides
- Continue roasting turning every 7-10 minutes until pieces are golden brown… about 25-30 minutes
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste
- Squeeze lime juice over finished squash
- Serve and enjoy!!
Have you every cooked with delicata squash? How do you cook it? What do you pair it with? Please inspire us!
Live Hippily… and fill your fall with squash!!