This recipe was initially inspired by a cookie recipe… yep.
But when they turned out more like a biscuit I had to create one of my favorite sides at dinner…. BISCUITS!!
Simply adding in veggies and more savory spices made this cookie into a soft, buttery, savory biscuit. Boom and then vegetable biscuits were born.
They are a great addition to dinner or just simple and healthful snack… my kids LOVE them and they have veggies too, boom.
If you haven’t explored or discovered Einkorn Flour yet… you are about to.
Einkorn flour is an ancient wheat easier to digest. Thanks to less gluten and offering more health benefits, it is a superior alternative to whole wheat.
It is the most ancient wheat, offering many essential dietary and trace minerals. Einkorn flour is also a good source of protein, iron, dietary, fiber, thiamine, and a number of other B Vitamins. (Source)
Did I mention I LOVE bisquits? You can add some organic cheddar cheese too to make them even more savory. We at the WElls household are taking our dairy consumption down quite a bit…
Savory Vegetable Biscuits
2 cups Einkorn Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp other dried spices (basil, parsley, etc.)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup coconut oil, softened (grass fed butter)
1/4 cup shredded zucchini
1/4 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup shredded cheddar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a baking sheet lined with unbleached parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the first three ingredients. Add in coconut oil, mix.
- Add in eggs and cheese. Mix well but don’t over mix.
- Add in shredded veggies and cheese (if using) and fold into mixture, again not to over mix.
- Drop 1 tbsp rounded spoonfuls of the mixture onto baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes, the tops should begin to turn golden brown
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Einkorn flour is so versatile and full of nutrients… so before you bake with regular organic whole wheat flour, try this incredible ancient grain and taste the love!
Do you have a favorite and savory biscuit and/or vegetable infused recipes?
Please share 😉
Live Hippily… and create more love in your kitchen! 🙂