Here’s my theory on treats. Enjoy them. Make them from real ingredients and opt for organic as much as you can.
I mean if you’re going to put any information into your body… give it what it can read. Making your own treats is much more healthy than anything out of a package. You know what’s in them. Perfect.
Okay enough talk. Let’s do this:
This is the recipe I found and initially used… but below is my spin on it.
- 1 cup Gluten free flour. I love Bob’s Red Mill’s Paleo Baking Flour.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats. My favorite is One Degree Sprouted Rolled Oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (a touch more to top cookies) – drop iodized salt and get yourself some nice pink sea salt. It’s has trace minerals our bodies needs, rather than being stripped of them via chemical processing.
- 6 tbsp grass fed butter (Kerry Gold all the way) or you can use coconut oil. Butter to be room temp. Coconut oil softened like butter.
- 3/4 cup organic coconut sugar
- 6 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or (175 degrees C)
- Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together flour, oats, baking soda, and sea salt.
- In a food processor or using a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat together butter or oil, sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add in egg to the “wet” ingredients, and mix on low until well incorporated.
- Stir in “dry” ingredients until everything is mixed well.
- Using a spatula fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a spoon, spoon out a chunk of the dough and make into small to medium sized balls. place them at least 3 inches a part.
- Sprinkle each cookie on top with a little sea salt. So yummy!
- Bake for 11-14 minutes. Cookies should be crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle
- Let cool on the baking sheet.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
This is a great recipe to have the kids help too. My boys love mixing, measuring, and creating yummy food. These are skills that will serve them their entire lives.
If you love clean eating and cook, join me in one of my Clean Eating Courses! I also offer a 90 Day Personalized Nutritional Therapy program for clients who need a little more help and guidance. Check them out!
Life is all about learning to love yourself and nourishing oneself is an act of self-love. It’s what I love to teach and help people embrace! It’s my mission 🙂
Nutritional Therapy Practitioner