I freaking LOVE granola.
Top on coconut or almond yogurt, sprinkle on smoothies, or just eat with your favorite nut milk. It’s feels like I’m eating or feeding my kids cereal. All boxed up cereal, organic or not, has TONS of sugar sourced from sugar cane… Like most moms, I try to limit sugar and source sweetness from sweeteners like honey, that at least provide some nutritional value.
Granola is one of those foods you can pack and take with you on the go or just enjoy in the comfort of your home. Lately I’ve been make smoothies, putting them in bowls then sprinkling granola on top. The kids LOVE it and devour quickly… just like mom.
Here is how I make it, but modify to your liking… all you have to do is try 🙂
- 1.5 cups organic sprouted oatmeal (substitute organic oats)
- 1.5 cups sprouted almonds, chop into small pieces (substitute organic almonds)
- 1/3 cup sprouted seeds (pumpkin and sunflower are yummy) (I love this brand and the best price I’ve found is on www.vitacost.com)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw and unfiltered honey
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Ingredients added in after baking:
- 1/8 cup organic chia seeds
- 1/8 cup hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup dried berries (you can mix the berries in at the last few minutes to create a more of a textured berry).
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper.
- Combine the first 4 dry ingredients together and mix well.
- Add in coconut oil, honey, sea salt, cinnamon and mix well
- Spread mixture on prepared lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and stir, cook for an additional 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Be sure to check on your masterpiece consistently to keep from burning.
- Allow to cool, then add in dried berries, chia, and hemp seeds. Mix well and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks!
This granola is packed with tons of antioxidants, omega-3’s, fiber, and trace vitamins and minerals. Easy to prepare and delicious to eat, what else do you need in a recipe!?!
Do you have a favorite granola recipe? Please share!
Live Hippily… and make your own cereal yo. 🙂