“Real food doesn’t HAVE ingredients. Real food IS ingredients.” – Jamie Oliver.
My mission is to bring mom’s and humans alike tools, tips, and strategies to source quality food, decode labels, and navigate through deceptive marketing messages.
The Standard American Diet (SAD) is really sad. The majority of our population are eating nutrient deficient foods. Their bodies and brains are starving but their waistlines are expanding exponentially. 1 out of 3 Americans are obese and over 18% of children are obese. Why don’t more people understand their health issues are directly related to the food they eat?
Well if you are here you DO know and understand this connection and how important it is to understand where your food comes from. Your soul home is a sacred temple that is created to move your through this wondrous life. It should be respected, revered, and loved.
These are 20 of my top tips when buying food and decoding labels. The main message here is ALWAYS know and understand the ingredients in the food-like products you are buying.
Don’t count calories, count chemicals. If you don’t know what an ingredient is, your body won’t either and because it doesn’t know what it is or how to metabolize it, like high fructose corn syrup, it store it in fat cells. Yes, ALL chemicals are stored in fat or worse, they destroy your body’s detox system and have a plethora of other negative effects.
When you buy packaged and processed foods… think chemical-shit-storm. You MUST decipher the ingredients before they enter your body.
SO… Here are my TOP 20 tips in decoding labels and overall sourcing, buying and consuming food:
1. Look for ingredient lists with LESS THAN 5-7 ingredients (AND understand each ingredient). If you don’t know what ONE ingredient is your body doesn’t either… leave it there and walk, skip, gallup, or run away.
2. AVOID any product that has the word “ARTIFICIAL” anywhere!!! Anywhere.
3. Natural – this term means shit. There is no regulation on this term so while it may contain “natural” ingredients it does NOT mean all ingredients are natural. Support companies that disclose ALL their ingredients and don’t use this loophole to hide questionable ingredients. Read more about what ‘Natural Flavors’ really mean here.
It’s important to know what you are consuming!! Read more about “Natural” and “Artificial” labeling here.
4. “Made with Organic” – No USDA seal but at least 70% of product must be certified organic.
5. “Organic” – when the product contains 75% organic ingredients (NO USDA seal)
6. “Certified Organic”: – USDA certified and it must be made with 95% certified organic ingredients.
7. “100% Organic” – ALL organics are USDA certified organic
8. Sugar – 4 grams of sugar is 1 tsp of sugar! Opt for foods that use natural forms of sugar like honey and fruit.
9. Sugar again: Did you know that sugar (one of the most addictive substances known to man) is added up to 74% of all packaged foods in supermarkets?
There are at least 61 different names for sugar listed on food labels. These include common names, such as sucrose and high-fructose corn syrup, as well as barley malt, dextrose, maltose and rice syrup. Just say no.
10. AVOID unrecognizable scientific names and numbers. Again, just think “chemical shit-storms that turn into fat”.
11. Pay attention to the order of ingredients as they are listed from the highest percentage to the lowest.
12. All “healthy” claims are usually just marketing lies, don’t trust them, such as “low-fat, fat-free, healthy, natural, low-carb, whole grains, skinny, sugar free, light, gluten free, lightly sweetened, cholesterol free, etc.” Any packages with these claims deserve high level of investigation.
13. If the food-like product has a commercial avoid like the plague.
14. ALWAYS BUY NON-GMO. Think cancer causing and gut killing chemicals and avoid.GMO products contain high levels of glyphosate which is linked to numerous health issues and birth defects. Read more here.
15. Beef & Dairy: Only buy grass-fed beef, butter… and all dairy products created from grass-fed cows. This is how God intended cows to be fed, not pesticide and GMO laden corn and grains. “You are what your food eats.”, be organic grass not pesticide laden corn, soy, and wheat, okay. Check out my favorite source for pastured meat here! Butcher Box!!
16. Eggs: Only buy PASTURE-RAISED eggs. These are eggs from the most healthy chickens and should have bright ORANGE yolks. Learn more here.
Yellow yolks – sick chickens
Orange yolks – healthy chickens
17. FISH – NEVER BUY FARMED FISH (“think chemical and plastic shit-storm filet”!!)
Opt for Wild caught or fish either farmed or caught with sustainable, restorative, regenerative practices. Check out www.cleanfish.com to find out which brands and companies to choose from.
Also www.seafoodwatch.org or check what fish are safest to consume in your area.
18. Transition out of your favorite junk food snacks and look for better cleaner alternatives. Now.
“Eating Junk Food is a form of self-harm.”
Little steps = BIG healthy changes.
19. BUY LOCAL AND eat more organic plants. For real. Check out www.localharvest.org to find local farmers near you.
What did I miss? Did you learn something new? Did something surprise you? What can you change to make your meals healthier and more nourishing?? Please share!
Remember it’s BABY steps… don’t get overwhelmed but inspired to advocate for your OWN health!!
Much love Hippie Moms!!
Live Hippily, healthy, happy, and kick some ass!
#hippiemoms #eatwelllivewell #timeforchange #advocateforyourhealth #foodtips