One thing I love about pasta with marinara… is that the WHOLE Family enjoys it.
Kids tend to take time trying new foods., at least mine do… especially those with LOTS of veggies! However, this dish is always loved and eaten in complete silence. Yes, that is the sign my kids LOVE dinner… when they are completely quiet and and devouring their meal. It’s my happy place.
I make this to accompany pastas, grilled cheese (have to cheat sometimes!), and sometimes add to soups I make the following week.
I always try and keep some form of raw veggies in every meal. In this recipe I keep about 1/2 cup of the carrots and zucchini to add into the dish before serving. Also, I like to blend up to 1/2 of the mixture so a thicker texture is created and my kids don’t pick out any veggies they “don’t like”.
Let’s do this.
- 3 tbsp avocado oil (or your favorite sauteing oil)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 3 large garlic cloves (minced or use press)
- 1.5 cup shredded carrots (1 cup for sauce and 1/2 cup to add in before serving)
- 1.5 cup shredded zucchini (1 cup for sauce and 1/2 cup to add in before serving)
- 3 handfuls of fresh spinach (1 cup to add in before serving)
- 2 tbsp oregano
- Hand full of basil or 3 tbsp of dried basil
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 large bell pepper (red or green and chopped)
- 28 oz. roasted or stewed tomatoes (organic – see one of my favorite brands in pic below)
- 8 oz. vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp of high quality balsamic vinegar (this is my secret ingredient and is an amazing addition enhancing flavor profile)
- Salt, Pepper, and Red Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup organic and raw Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large pot over medium heat
- Add in avocado oil
- Once heated add onion and garlic
- Allow to cook until garlic is fragrant and onions are transparent (about 2-3 minutes)
- Add in remaining ingredients
- Mix well, bring to a quick boil, and allow to gently simmer for up to 2 hours.
- To create a thicker texture, put 1/4-1/2 of sauce into a blender and blend until completely mixed. Add back into pan and allow to cook for 20-30 minutes longer.
- Before serving add in raw veggies to the bottom of the serving bowls.
- Top with pasta and sprinkle Parmesean cheese just before serving.
Boom! I make extra as this sauce makes AMAZING left overs. I add it to soups, or just reheat for more pasta love or to pair with a naughty grilled cheese.
Do you have a favorite marinara sauce? What’s your secret ingredient? Please inspire us!
Live Hippily… and eat more veggies!